Thursday, July 19, 2007

Recovered from Afton

A few weeks before Afton, I strained a hamstring during a fitness class. Of course, I kept running on it and each day it was a little better than the day before. Going into Afton I felt it was at 95%. That wasn't enough and I was hurting bad after the race. So... I quit running completely to let the damage heal. I've been doing some aerobic exercise - spinning, swimming, kickboxing and also some moderate strength training. I've also spent some time walking on a treadmill with short bursts of moderate speed running sprinkled in. Right now, I feel about as close to 100% as I can get. Next Tuesday I plan to start running again outside. I can't wait but I feel it's better to do just a bit more cross-training before getting into running mode again. Next race: Urban Wildland Half Marathon on August 4th in Richfield, MN.

--Mark

1 comment:

keith said...

Mark,

I'm glad you are feeling better! Hamstring injuries suck.

I will not be able to run that relay because it's too many miles too close to the moose mountain marathon. I want to be fresh enough to tackle that and do well (relatively speaking, of course). Thanks for thinking of me, though! Good luck at Urban Wildlife!

See you on the trails!

Keith