Monday, August 27, 2007

Only 275,000 footsteps to go

I ran the Great River Ragnar Relay on August 24th and 25th with 10 other team members. Our team name is "Only 275,000 footsteps to go". That's about how many I figured it would take. The race was originally planned for 198 miles this year from LaCrosse, WI up to Stillwater and then to Minneapolis. With the 35W bridge collapse and then some police lines from a chase/shooting Friday night, sections were re-routed and the new mileage was 208.2.

We had 12 team members. Six in each of two vans. How it works is that starting in LaCrosse, each of the six in Van 1 runs their legs. Then Van 2's runners run. It switches back to Van 1 then Van 2 for two more times. Each runner has to run three legs in the race from 3 to 8 miles each. I ran 7.4 at 11am then 8.2 at 10:30?pm then 7.1 at 6:30am. My total was 22.7.

Oh... At the beginning I said 10 other team members. Van 1 was planning to leave for LaCrosse at 6am Friday. Well, at 3:58am one of the team members called and cancelled due to a leaky water softner in his house. Three others on the team had to run his legs in addition to their own. We sure didn't plan on that.

Most on our team have said this has been the best running experience of their lives. I think that says alot. Our finishing time was 28 hours, 40 minutes, and 31 seconds which is an 8:16 average pace. We finished in 17th place overall out of the 99 teams that finished. We can't wait until next year.

My average pace was a 7:57. I can't complain about that.

--Mark

2 comments:

Leah Swedboston said...

Hey Mark,
Thanks for visiting our blog!!! WHORs. We had a great time during the relay. Or Virgin Experience!!! We'll be back next year, with more experience, enthusiasm and spirit! Jen is a frickin animal. After her second baby, she went from a 10:00 mile to a 7:30! I swear, I want kids now too, if it means I can run long distances faster!

I asked Jen after her midnight run if she has interest in being Runner #2 again next year. She has a fondness of that hill....so I am sure you will see her out there again, kickin' some asphault!

Leah Swedboston said...

PS. We had to break the news to Jen around 3.7miles that her leg got terribly longer! She was Pissed....to say the least.