Saturday, September 26, 2009

TCM - 1 week away

I ran the TCM last year. Cold, rainy, and fun. I'm looking forward to this year's marathon too.

Compared to last year, I have these 'negatives' going into the marathon next Sunday:
  • I'm 10 pounds heavier
  • I didn't adhere to a training plan and don't have many long runs under my belt.
I also have some positives:
  • I am 100% injury free
  • When well rested, I run strong
  • I have a very achievable marathon plan
I plan to have a good taper week this week and I'm sticking with the marathon plan I posted previously: Run the first 20 at a 9:00 pace and then run the last 10K as fast as I can, which is hopefully faster than a 9:00 pace. What I really want to achieve is running a marathon with a negative split. Can I do it? I'll know this time next Sunday.

update - Saturday, 10/3: I ran two miles this morning and 9:00 was not a good pace to hold. I moved a bit smoother at 8:45's and that's likely what I'll run tomorrow.

--Mark

4 comments:

Kel said...

Good luck Mark!

SteveQ said...

I'll be looking for you - on the hill leading from the river to Summit Ave.

Beth said...

Good luck! You have a lot of positives going for you, most importantly you are healthy and well rested. The weather looks ideal. Can't wait to hear all about it!

SteveQ said...

Hey, you looked great out there today!