Monday, June 16, 2008

A half-Afton test run

I went out Sunday afternoon to do a practice loop at Afton. This time I planned to keep my heart rate under 150 most of the time so it meant walking up most of the big hills. This strategy worked out very well and I felt good at the end of the 25K loop. Mine was probably 25.3K because I got off on the wrong trails a few times and had to backtrack.

I finished in 2:41 with an average HR of 144. Perfect.

All I know now is that I can have a very successful first loop but I know the second will be more difficult. My legs were somewhat tired near the end of the run yesterday. My plan is that if I can stay well down into the aerobic zone and consume Sustained Energy at a constant rate as well as keep hydrated, I have a chance of completing the 50K without a crash and burn.

I didn't see much wildlife but I did flush a turkey, heard some pheasants, and ran by a deer that just stood about 15 feet away. I also picked-up about 8 friendly woodticks. :-(

--Mark

2 comments:

SteveQ said...

I'd hoped to be at Afton that day, but had to settle for the roads instead. I'll be there this Saturday if you're up for another day on the course.

Mark H. said...

I'm planning to get out there really early on Saturday - about 7am. That will be it until race-day.
--Mark