Monday, June 16, 2008

New shoes

On Friday I had an appointment for a 'gait analysis'. My goal was to find a solution to my foot problems after fast/hard road races or fast treadmill workouts.

I was originally fit into Brooks Adrenaline stability shoes when I first took up running about 3 years ago. For the most part they have been very comfortable and have worked well for me. I am susceptible to hurting my foot, either right or left, near the front of the cuboid bone. The injury usually resolves itself in a few days to a few weeks.

To keep this short, here is what my 'gait analysis' person found: My left leg is 5mm longer than the right, my ankles are strong and my arches are weak. I should be wearing 'neutral' shoes, not 'stability' shoes.

I tried three different shoes and the ones that I had the best form in are Brooks Glycerin. So, I'm wearing the new Brooks shoes with 'green' Superfeet insoles and a 5mm lift under my right heel. This appointment took almost 40 minutes and she didn't cut corners and made sure I was in what she thought was the best setup for me.

I can expect to be a little sore for a few weeks and then I should feel great in the shoes in about 6 weeks. I'm interested to see how this goes.

edit: I had my Gait Analysis done by Wendi at Gear West. See http://www.gearwest.com/gait-analysis-pg-14.html for more information.

--Mark

2 comments:

keith said...

Hope you found something that works for you! Where did you have it done?

TCEric said...

I also have used Wendi Peason at Gear West. She is great. After getting fitted by her I have taken 3 minutes off my 3.5 mile run and the pain has gone away. THANKS WENDI!