Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Fall 50 this weekend and changing workout plan

My last scheduled race this year is a relay --- the Fall 50 in Door County Wisconsin. It can be run solo or with from 2 to 5 runners per team. I'm running it on a 5-person team and can't wait.

I have been an idiot and ran 25 and 38 miles in the two weeks following the Twin Cities marathon. It caught up to me last Friday on a 12 mile run when my heart rate went up too high and my speed dropped. Ooops. I took three days off running and did 9 this morning. It felt good but I could tell I still don't have my speed back. I don't feel like picking up yet on the final hill back to the gym. After the Fall 50 I plan to take two easy running weeks before I hit it a little harder.

Also, I'm adding more core and strength work into my weeks. I started this with an upper body workout yesterday. My general plan from mid-November through the winter will use this as a guideline but I'll add core work in where I can:

Mon - Lift (Upper body)
Tue - Run (hills/speed/tempo)
Wed - Lift (Legs) or Easy run or Kickboxing or Circuit
Thu - Easy run and/or Yoga and/or Circuit
Fri - Long run or Longer tempo run
Sat/Sun- Easy run or rest


--Mark

2 comments:

nwgdc said...

Hey Mark!

How did it go this weekend?

Mark H. said...

We all had a great race! Tons of fun and we had a great time of 6:11. The wind slowed us down later in the race but the temperatures were just perfect for me. I will definitely run it next year - but I'm not ready to go solo yet.

I just now looked at your blog and saw you got a 7:59! Awesome. We started at 9am so our finish was 12 minutes after you.... while the party tent was still nearly empty.

--Mark