Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Garmin beginner and software pains

I'm still in Garmin 1st grade. I haven't learned the buttons by position yet. I mean the lap and start/stop buttons. After stopping for some water this morning we were going to take off at a fast pace. I took off and meant to push lap but hit the start/stop button. I was wondering why my distance wasn't updating. Ugh. I hit the start/stop several times and then hit the lap button. I'll learn. This was about 5 miles into a 9 mile run when we picked up the pace. I looked at my splits for those 4 miles (Franklin Bridge to Ford Bridge on the east side) and they were 7:34, 7:48 (St. Thomas hill here), 7:23, and 6:56 to finish. A good solid run for me.

An hour ago I had the Garmin linkup and upload to garminconnect.com via a wireless USB attachment. I logged into the website and saw my workout was NOT there. Huh? I looked at the status of the Garmin software and see there was a problem uploading to the Garmin server. Ugh. I have a setting in the software to delete the exercise from my Garmin after uploading it. You see what happened.... the software uploaded my data and then deleted it from my Garmin before verifying the upload was good. Oh well, I changed the setting and I'll deleted the data off the Garmin myself from now on.

Next challenge.... figuring out how to get a quick satellite lock after stepping outside to run.

--Mark

4 comments:

Mike W. said...

Welcome to the Garmin community, I too am a newbie to Garmin and have yet to figure out most of the features but I love getting consistent data for my trail runs.

A couple of other applications for viewing your data that I think are worth looking at are SportTracks (PC based) and the other is BimActive (on-line).

Londell said...

I actually download it to Garmin Connect, Garmin Training Center on the computer (if they did not give you the disk, you can download it), and Ascent (for the Mac) and fo not auto delete. Then I am sure I will get it and transfer between them if only one gets it.

SteveQ said...

If you find a way to get a fast satellite lock, let us know! I get the "have you moved hundreds of miles?" alert often.

Beth said...

My Garmin 305 gets satellite very quickly, but my husbands took forever. He called Garmin and they had him reset the unit to clear out some corrupted data. Good luck and hope you get promoted to 2nd grade soon!