Monday, January 4, 2010

HR monitoring revisited

I had a few months off last winter due to a surgery. Shortly after getting back to working out, I ran into trouble during a cycle class which I figured out was due to severe dehydration. My chart of my heart rate below shows how it dropped like a rock (see chart below) and then recovered somewhat about 5 minutes later. As this was happening, it was helpful to see what my HR was. As Londell posted in a response to my post this morning, sometimes it's a good thing to have a HR monitor on just to keep an eye on things.

5 comments:

SteveQ said...

That drop to 40 bpm is alarming. I'd use a HR monitor, if I were you.

Mark H. said...

I agree. I had forgotten about that workout when I posted the other day. I wonder what the chart would look like when someone passes out. I wonder.....but don't want to experience it myself.

Matthew Patten said...

Remember,

HR monitors you use are not as accurate as the ones they use in hospitals.

Sometimes there is interferance or lack ther of.

According to my HR monitor, I have reached a max of 250!

And according to my Garmin, I have run a 3:30 pace for half a mile.

Know your body and listen to it.

Londell said...

In response to Matt, I agree there can be an errors in reading and have found that time to time, although, at Afton, my HR jumped, I felt fine, so I looked at the watch and took the pulse on my wrist. It was right, my pulse was off the chart for how hard I was working.

So just like any technology device, they are never fool proof, but generally give a much needed warning. In addition, they are right much more than they are wrong and I love that extra watchdog on this older body with a forgetful mind.

Mark H. said...

I have ordered my replacement HRM parts and will go back to wearing it most times. The 40 on my chart was real... I checked it by pulse at that time too.

The benefit of wearing it as a watchdog outweighs not wearing it. I have found it to be useful in detecting when I'm getting overtrained before I realize it by the way I feel. I do plan to not look at my HR as much as I have in the past and do more running by perceived exertion.