Monday, January 4, 2010

my training wheels are gone - no HR monitors

Last month I lost the transmitter for my Garmin heart rate monitor. Over the weekend I lost the strap for my Polar heart rate monitor. The Garmin strap with Polar transmitter don't play well together. Therefore, I'm exercising without at HR monitor, which is new to me since I've been using one for about 5 years.

I'll take this as an opportunity to exercise more by 'feel' instead of using the HR monitor as a guide/limiter in training and in races. There is more risk in that I may crash and burn in races but I may also do better running by feel. Time will tell.

--Mark

2 comments:

Londell said...

Good luck brave one... Since I have had two friends die over the years and both were due to heart issues, I always have one. (In fact I have two Polar straps and two Garmin straps) I think about when I was at Afton 2 years ago and I felt great but my HR monitor had me at 165 BPM. Stress, heat and other factors caused a higher heart rate. I suggest even if you feel good, taking a pulse rate at various times does not hurt?

Mark H. said...

Darnit. I had forgotten about using it as a safety tool. My next post is in favor of HRMs just for what you say.
--Mark