Wednesday, September 29, 2010

tipping towards trails

Today, the 4th day since my trail marathon, I feel great. My legs feel the same or better than after racing the City of Lakes 25K a few weeks ago which was run on a blacktop road. The softer surfaces of trail running are much better for my body.

In 2009 I was coming off a foot surgery in the Winter but ended up with races totaling 80 miles on the road and 14 miles on the trail.

In 2010, so far, I have 62 miles of road racing and 75 miles of trail racing. That's a significant shift to trails. I would like to shift even more towards trails in 2011. The rest of this year has me running maybe 10 to 15 miles at the Door County Fall 50 team relay on the road and then the Surf the Murph 50M event which is on trails.

I am well aware that I'm not trained for any distances longer than a marathon so the 50M in October will be a big s-t-r-e-t-c-h for me. I'm hoping that the softer surfaces will help save me during that full day event. No matter what, I'll be having fun being out on the trails.

--Mark

1 comment:

Chris Swenke said...

I like you think I may be a bit undertrained for the 50 miler at Surf the Murph, but isn't that always the case. I look forward to meeting you at the race.