Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Garmin 310XT - returning for repair

Well, my Garmin 310XT lasted 21 months and 1518 miles of running in 234.5 hours. That's an average 9:16 per mile pace. It is what it is.

When I've had the Garmin out in cold weather lately, the display crystal has been fogging up somewhat and it looks as if there is a crack in it. When I go inside and it warms up, the fogging is gone and I also can't see any damage to the display. So, apparently the near-invisible cracks are letting water vapor in. Since I'd rather not wait until water damages it permanently, I sent it back to Garmin today. I will get some other refurbished unit back in about 2 weeks. Until then, a digital watch will do just fine.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the refurbished Garmin is a 'good one'.

--Mark

4 comments:

Kel said...

I have a love/hate relationship with the Garmin watches I have owned. They are way too expensive considering the flaws and limitations they have, they break easily, and I can't seem to stand running trails without mine.

Mark H. said...

I ran way too fast without mine this morning because I'm not 'pace aware' without one. Darnit.

Beth said...

I bet they will come through for you. I've never had a problem with my 305, but my husband had problems with his as well as his new 310XT. It was frustrating but they took care of each time really quickly. Meanwhile, my cheap 305 keeps chugging along. I love it and couldn't do without it.

Mark H. said...

The new one arrived quickly - just 8 days after I shipped mine out. So far, so good. It looks factory new and works as expected.