Monday, April 4, 2011

Ron Daws 25K 2011

Last year this time I learned that cross-training is not the best for ME as a runner. I had cut down my running mileage and number of days I ran weekly, and added a couple of days of cycle classes every week. I ran a 2:14 at the Ron Daws 25K last year. I believe that I just didn't put a hard enough effort into those cycle classes and lost running fitness instead of maintaining it.

This year although I had some very low mileage weeks in January and February, the past 4 weeks I averaged 47 miles weekly. Most of the miles were run at 8:45 to 9:15 pace and the long runs were averaging closer to a 10:00 pace. This was a mini-experiment of running slower, for me, but with nice weekly mileage.

My goal for Ron Daws was to run it at an 8:00 or better pace at an average heart rate of 160 or lower. I wanted to see how close I would be to hitting a sub 1:40 in the Minnetonka Half Marathon coming up on May 1st. A 1:40 half equates to a 7:38 average pace.

The course was different again this year due to snow on the sidewalks. No matter, we had a 2-loop full 25K mapped out for us. I met some friends there and lined-up for pre-race instructions and off we went. I settled in running with my friend Aileen and in a few miles we caught up with our friend Jim. Although our first mile was slow, we seemed to be running at around a 7:45 average pace. I was really happy with that but inside I was wondering when it would all go badly. I was think I could hold that pace until mile 8.

If I remember correctly, we had water stops at miles 4.5, 7.5, and 11.5. I planned on just getting water at 4.5, taking 3 Shot-Bloks and an S!Cap at both the 7.5 and 11.5 stops. That plan worked great. Jim and I held on to our 7:45 pace and Aileen, as usual, seemed to be barely breathing. By mile 11 we were talking that we didn't see a sub-2hr finish happening and Aileen left us in the dust. An advantage of her youth, I suppose. Jim and I slowed slightly the last several miles.

As Jim and I approached the last mile, we were eyeing a guy ahead of us. Could we catch him? I'm thinking sure, why not. I started running fast and Jim held on, just a bit behind me. At around 500 yards to go I'm thinking 'Man, what's that guy got in him?'. My Garmin was reading a pace of the low 6:20's for the last half mile. Ugh. At the finish, the guy in front of me said he ran the race too conservatively, You think? I may have run it a little conservatively, too as I had an average heart rate better than plan of 158 and my average pace was 7:46, according to my Garmin.

My Garmin data with course map is here.

Results here

I really like this year's course a lot. Even though it was a new route, there were plenty of hills to run. I'm looking forward to the Minnetonka Half next, a sub-1:40 is within reach.

--Mark

1 comment:

Beth said...

Congrats on your 25K! I think I'm still traumatized from running it a couple years ago. It was unusually hot and just too hilly for me. Maybe I'll give it a try again next year. Glad your training is going well and hope to see you at the Minnetonka Half!