Sunday, April 20, 2008

Trail Mix 50K team race 2008

Q: How do you take a pair of road shoes and turn them into trail shoes?



A: Wear them at a Trail Mix race.

Those shoes have almost 400 miles on them... all treadmill or road until Saturday. Now I'll just use them on trails until they're worn out. They worked out very well in the hills and mud. On the topic of mud... I saw one guy in a mud pit with his shoe sucked off his foot. He didn't look happy.

I like comparing my races results to help gauge how I'm performing. This year, as well as last year, I ran the Trail Mix team race. In the team race, 4-person teams run one loop (12.5K) of the course each and their times are added together for a team time. My team, Live to Win, ended up coming in 3rd in the uneven-mixed division. I think we were 8th in the division last year.

I met Marise W. before the race. She a member of the Upper Midwest Trail Runners group. We chatted a bit and discovered we both want to run the Superior 50 Trail Race in our 50th birthday celebration month in 2009. That's something to look forward to!

My marathon training, that I've several months into, has made me much faster than last year. My overall place at the Trail Mix last year was 99/433 (top 23% and 7:59 pace). This year I was 35/394 or in the top 9% at a 7:20* pace. My time was 52:53 officially, but 52:45 on my watch. The added time was due to a two-runner backup in front of me at the finish. It took a while for the time/number keeper to record my time.

It was a very enjoyable race to run this year and I hope to do the team run again next year!

--Mark

*note: Update 4/22: The Trail Mix website now lists the team race distance as 7.2 miles.

1 comment:

keith said...

That relay is probably the toughest race of the three if you run it as hard as you can. Nice job!