Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Back in good running shape

During the winter I ran less and did more cross-training on a cycle. My spring races were slower than I thought they should have been. I became aware of this after the Ron Daws 25K in early April and it was too late to adjust anything (that would affect my performance) for the Eau Claire marathon on May 2nd. Since April I have dropped on cycle class but I still do the other cycle class on light resistance just to get my legs moving at a good cadence, but not to wear out my muscles. The other thing I did is getting my weekly mileage up to approximately 40 miles per week on average. I picked that number because I have found in the past that I get injured when I go beyond 45 miles per week average for very long.

Right now I'm running quite well, am staying injury-free (knock on wood), and am enjoying running 5 to 6 days a week. My mini-goal is to get myself from where I am now to being in shape to do the Surf the Murph 50 mile race at the end of October. I realize it's not a good idea to get my weekly mileage up too high but I need to start getting in some really long (time more than miles) runs in on the weekends. I would like to shoot for a 12 hour Surf the Murph. If I can do that, I will likely register for the Bighorn 50M next year. I know.....apples and oranges. If I can't do the Surf the Murph successfully this fall, I would shoot for the Bighorn 50K.

Well, that's my current plan and of course it's subject to change.

--Mark

No comments: