Saturday, July 3, 2010

Afton Trail Run 25K 2010

Today was my second time running the 25K and I had a very good day of running. I'm running some races next weekend so I wanted to run a little under my capability. So I set two race goals for Afton. The first was to run with a moderate+ effort or something less than a hard effort and finish around a 2:45. My second goal was to not get lapped by a 50K racer which could happen but wouldn't be likely.

I'm typing this on a touch-screen phone so this report might be pretty short. I arrived at Afton around 6am so I could watch the 50K runners start and then chat with 25k runners that arrived early. I was planning to carry a water bottle as it was going to be a hot one. Strangely, with the cloud cover and breeze, it seemed cool so I put my water bottle back in the car. Of course, right before the race start time of 7:30, the sun came out and it started getting warm.

We were given instructions that were some course changes and instructions on how to not get lost. I must have listened because I didn't get lost....I get lost every time I run out there training.

I did a good job and running at a nice moderate effort. I liked the course changes and hope next year's course is the same as this year. The aid stations were great. Today I used 3 S!Caps, 6 Shot Bloks (one package), and one orange slice. Seemed good for me today.

Back to running....as I said, I was not pushing hard but I was still moving right along. Something clicked-in after 9 miles and I got into an effortless, but fast, running rhythym. I just cruised right along until mile 11 when the heat was starting to affect me. Oh well, at least I got in 2 great miles of running. haha

Wrapping this up, I finished in 2:36 and felt great at the finish. Goal 1 complete. I wasn't lapped by any 50K runners however I believe Chris Lundstrom's time was 3:48 for a new course record. Made that goal with only 12 minutes to spare. Great job Chris Lundstrom!

I chatted with friends at the finish and then called it done for another year. My one line summary is "I loved every minute of it." You'll see me out there again in 2011.


--Mark

4 comments:

wildknits said...

Nice job on the race! And good to see you again.

SteveQ said...

You looked strong out there when everyone else was crumbling in the heat (well, everyone but Lundstrom, maybe). You just might be a natural hot weather runner!

shannon said...

Congrats on the 2:36! This was my debut distance trail run. Between the heat/humidity and the elevation changes I was surprised that so many runners looked great crossing the finish.

Beth said...

Congratulations on a great race! The weather was tough but that's great that you felt totally fine. Not getting lost is good, too. :)