Wednesday, December 8, 2010

foot pain

It figures. In my post on Saturday I wrote that I was "Injury free. Knock on wood." Well, the knocking on wood didn't really work. Tuesday morning I ran on a chunk of hard snow and my left foot rolled outwards. Ugh. I immediately got a sharp pain just forward of my ankle bone at the left side of my foot, maybe an inch up the side of my foot.

It hurt some while I finished up my run. I'm glad I had no more than three miles to go when it happened. Even today it hurts a bit (sometimes) when walking. I won't be running at all now until Saturday so hopefully it will be mostly healed by next week.

I would rather not 'whine' about an injury but I'm recording this info here so I can go back later to see what happened. At the Surf the Murph, I had a similar injury and walked it off for an hour and then ran another 10 miles. The next day there was no pain or sign of the injury. The injury from Tuesday happened and there is still slight pain today. Never any swelling or bruising.

On some internet searching the injury is in the same area of where 'Peroneal Tendonitis' injuries occur. I'm not assuming that's what I have. Whatever I do have seems like it's minor and should fix itself soon.

What I do know is that I really need to get back on the wobble board again and then get some Vibram Five-Fingers to use as a tool to get my feet stronger.

My only bright side of all of this is that I have done well in daytime trail races where I can see my footing. If my steps are carefully placed and I don't roll my ankles, I'll do just fine. With unsure footing that I can't see well, that's when I have a problem. Ugh. The reason I'm thinking about this is due to my plan of running the Bighorn 50K next Summer. I think if I'm careful with my foot placement, I'll be fine. Knock on wood. haha

--Mark

1 comment:

Mark H. said...

Comment for myself.....all foot pain was gone by Saturday morning (4 days to recover).