Saturday, December 4, 2010

misc - shoes/crosstraining/winter

shoes

My new ASICS shoes are working out great. I have 125 miles on them and they feel great and I'm so glad to be in these new shoes. They even felt great with Yak Traks on them for my 25K at Afton (Pederson Benefit Run) last weekend. I better buy some more pairs of them before they're discontinued, if that hasn't happened already.

crosstraining

I've been adding some crosstraining the last two weeks. My new Mon - Fri workouts, at Lifetime Fitness, will be something like this:

Mon - run 6 then Yoga
Tue - run 6 then Total Conditioning (Strength) class
Wed - run 6 then Kickboxing
Thu - run 6 then Strength training
Fri - I do cycle class and just move my legs for an hour with almost no resistance. I'm the ultimate slacker in this class.

The first week of the added crosstraining was tough. I found a lot of muscles that are not primary muscles used for running. Soreness was the norm for week one.

Sat & Sun - I have a goal of running 12 to 20 on one day and also trying to get around 40 to 45 weekly miles.

winter

I also want to do more snowshoeing this winter. I'm going on a snowshoe hike with my wife tomorrow but I would like to substitute those weekend miles with TBD hours of snowshoeing whenever I can this winter.

Injury free?

I'm injury free. Knock on wood. I've not had much for injuries for quite a while. Keeping my miles under 45 per week helps a lot and I've added crosstraining to get other muscles stronger again and also to help strengthen my feet.

--Mark

1 comment:

:) said...

they always seem to discontinue my shoes the moment I find a good pair too!