Saturday, May 31, 2008

Nice Saturday run at Afton

I ran at Afton this morning with an acquaintance from my health club and a friend of his. We ran the loop which is the Afton 25K trail race. I highly recommend running in Afton a few times before running the July 25K or 50K... unless you like surprises (Hills). I trained out there a few times last year as well as running the 25K race so I knew what I was in for.

We ran fairly hard, for me, and about the 9.7 mile point I had to drop back and run easier. I took the last 5.8 miles really easy and probably finished 20 minutes after the others.

It was nice to be out in nature today. I didn't see any deer but heard turkeys and possibly pheasants, and saw numerous beautiful flowers.

I also practiced a different nutrition plan using Hammer Nutrition's Sustained Energy (SE) product. Three hours before our run was to start, I had 3 scoops of SE in 12 oz water. Then I drank about 30 oz water over the next three hours. During the run, I carried 2 - 10.5 oz water bottles on a belt and a 22 oz hand-held bottle. I used 2 scoops of SE in the 22 oz, and one scoop each in the small bottles. I drank the mixture at an even rate over the run but did have a few drinks of water at our water stops. At least today, I had NO intestinal problems and I felt like my energy level was even the entire run apart from the fact I was running with two guys that have a faster natural pace than mine. I'll be trying the SE again on Friday's 20+ mile long run.

--Mark

2 comments:

keith said...

sounds like you're dialing in something that will work in the heat!

the heat's the x-factor for the afton race in my opinion...not the hills!

Mark H. said...

Yes, the horrible heat factor. Last year it was about 95 on race day. I suppose it will be a bit hotter this year. Ugh.