Tuesday, July 8, 2008

3 days post-Afton 50K

I'm feeling pretty good. My right hamstring has been sore but feels much better today than yesterday. I took Sunday off, ran 3.4 Monday, and ran 9.3 this morning. It felt good to run today.

I was telling my running partners this morning that the race ended up, for me, being more like a really l-o-n-g training run. In hindsight, I ran with an average heart rate a few beats lower that I planned but that is better than running a few beats too high.

If I was to try to fine tune anything, I would think about increasing my water consumption per hour. 22 oz seemed fine for the first 3+ hours but later I really needed more. Also, I'm not really sure why I didn't want to take in any more of the Hammer Sustained Energy mix after 4 or 4.5 hours. It's neutral in flavor so it's not bad or anything. The orange slices were good later on. Maybe I should have grabbed some gummy bears to suck on for the last 6 or 8 miles. If I'm going to do a 50 miler next fall, I'll need to sort out what to do for a very long run.

Overall, I'm very happy with how I did. I don't see much to improve or change. Just a little fine tuning is all.

Oh yeah.... It wouldn't hurt to get my weekly miles up a bit more. I averaged 42 per week leading up to the Fargo Marathon. I increased up to the low 50s before tapering for Afton. I plan to average in the mid to upper 60s before the TC Marathon. I hope to be up in the 70s weekly training for a 50 mile race. That may be light, but with a family, there is only so much time I can take for me.

--Mark

No comments: