Friday, July 25, 2008

dealing with a little injury

I ran a tough hill workout on Tuesday. Not Julie B. tough, but tough for me. Running on Wednesday and Thursday were hard to get going. A touch of pain in my right knee and hamstring and achilles tendon area. Basically all over. It would go away after a mile or so of running. The problem is that later in the runs I would add a few hills and hit it hard. Then all day long I would think that my issue wasn't just a little soreness, there was some damage in there.

So... no hills this morning and I ran a nice 6 miles. About 4 miles into the run we merged into a large, spread-out, group of guys running a 15-miler as part of their U/M wrestling camp program. There was only so long that I could run my normal pace, which generally matched their pace, until I increased my speed. Running fast and flat didn't seem to aggravate anything and after I got back to the club I went back outside to walk a mile with a friend. At this moment I feel good. I'll be skipping running on Sat and Sun and do an easy 6 on Monday.

My weekly mileage (previous 3 weeks) is right around 40. I want to raise it up into the 60's but now I think that after my 50K it will take me to September to get there. Oh well. I think what will happen is that I will make it up to the low 50s and then hold until my taper for the Twin Cities Marathon.

--Mark

No comments: