Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Gait Analysis update

Last June I had a Gait Analysis done by Wendi P. at Gear West. The appointment was 40 minutes and Wendi figured out my shoes were wrong, I needed SuperFeet inserts and my left leg was 5mm longer than the right. The shoes, inserts, and heel lift made great progress in reducing the intermittent foot pain I was having.

Occasionally, I would still get foot pain and it was mostly after running hills. Lately my feet would have pain after nearly every run. I was coming off a few months of not running so I didn't worry too much. Two weeks ago I had my final post-foot-surgery checkup with my podiatrist. At that appointment I asked about the foot pain I was having. He knew I had a 5mm heel lift (from Wendi) and wanted to verify my leg length difference via X-Ray. Today I had the results faxed to my Doc and I was a little surprised that the measurements from the X-Ray found that my left leg was 5mm longer than the right. I find it amazing that Wendi could feel my hips and watch me run and determine that 5mm was the proper heel lift thickness without using any measuring devices. The same measurement determined by X-Ray machine. Amazing.

If you read back a few blog posts you will see that I found my shoe laces were loose and that's what I found caused my recent intermittent pain problem. Something simple but it's doing the trick for now.

--Mark

4 comments:

SteveQ said...

Helen Lavin said her foot problems came from tying her laces too tightly! Guess it's a balancing act.

Mark H. said...

It's absolutely a balancing act. I'm happy if I can stay on the good side of the not-injured/injured line. I'm only happy about half the time.

Beth said...

I'm so glad that you are still having success with your shoe tying technique. Yeah for Gear West. We are so lucky to have both of those stores as resources here.

Londell said...

Well, your post made me do it... I set an appt with Wendi. I have worm orthotics for 23 years. She looked at me, said with confidence I was in the wrong shoe. Tried several inserts first and then shoe after show. None felt that great. She was explaining issues and I felt what she said. Then she was struggling a little and had another thought. On the 7th shoe, she got me the Pearl Izumi Men's Cruise. I put them on, felt good. I ran... Felt great. We proceeded to test a few more pairs and I could really feel a differance from shoe to shoe... But the Pearl's were so good... my hips did not wobble, I felt like I was running straight. Right now, I think she is a goddess... lets see how I feel with a week without the $300 orthotics and wearing these shoes. She warned me I may feel muscle soreness at first, but should be better after a few runs... Then I will make a post with the results. Thanks again for the advice.