Monday, April 13, 2009

learning to tie my shoes...

I've been having too much mid-foot pain and it's been a recurring problem over many months. I was reading something online the other day about foot and shoe problems. One podiatry article listed some foot issues that may be caused by problems with the 'lacing system' of the running shoes.

Sunday morning I was planning to run hills with a friend. I dread the hills as I was sure my feet were going to hurt; the last time I ran the hills was in December. I also remembered what I read in the podiatry article and laced my shoes tighter at every pair of eyelets. Usually I only have the laces tight at the top and the rest a bit loose. Now I had the laces snug, but not too tight, from bottom to top.

Guess what? No pain on the hills and no pain during my 6 mile run this morning. Last Friday I couldn't run 4 miles without stopping due to pain. Could it be that simple? I first learned to tie my shoes when I was 4 years old. Now, 45 years later, I'm learning to tie them again.

--Mark

3 comments:

Beth said...

Hey, whatever works- go with it! Glad you found something that works for you.

SteveQ said...

In Jeff Galloway's first book, he had an entire chapter on how to tie one's shoes - and I've gone back to it a few times.

Beth said...

Hey Mark, I linked one of your posts to a post of mine today.I hope that is okay with you. I just love that weather website you had on your blog and wanted to mention it. Hope you are out enjoying this beautiful weather!