Sunday, August 3, 2008

I got the 10th lap in today...

Yesterday I ran 8 laps around Lake Calhoun. I was planning for ten but that was enough. Dave, Karl, and Kristen were there supporting me and I asked them to walk lap 9 with me. We walked most of the way and ran in the last mile. The 9th lap took 55:03. Then I dropped out of the race. Another lap to finish out the 10 wouldn't have done much for improving my physical condition.

Leap forward one day.

Today the Hennepin-Lake Classic 10K and 5K races were held at Lake Calhoun. I was not entered in the races but my friends Kristen and Karl were running the double header, the 10K at 8:15 and the 5K at 9:30. Karl and I had talked about running an easy lap around the lake between races but we hadn't really thought about the timing.

The 10K started and finished and Karl and I went off on a short walk and maybe a 0.4 mile run back to where the 5K would start. There was no time for a lap around the lake. Meanwhile, Kristen was wondering where I was with her car keys. Sorry Kristen, at least I didn't lose them!

I can't remember if I thought of this idea or Karl or Kristen did, but I was going to run a 5K on yesterday's race path the same time they were running the 5K. I would be able to 'run with them' from a distance. Today's race was on the road of course. So... Kristen got into her starting spot, Karl and I said a few words, and off the runners went. I had to hoof it down to the running path to get started on my 5K. I started my timer and took off. I couldn't see my friends but kept on the watch for them the entire lap. I thought they were ahead of me but I learned later they were behind me. I looped the lake and then crossed my starting point to get a 5K. 22:48. Very good for me and an average 7:21 pace. A nice speedy little run that made sure my feet and legs still worked after my 25+ miles yesterday. It was nice to get the 10th lap in even if was a day late and in the opposite direction.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to do an easy 6.

--Mark

1 comment:

keith said...

holy cats! i am in awe! i am still having trouble walking down stairs...and you're running fast 5k's??

you're bionic!