Sunday, August 31, 2008

First place to the wrong guy

I ran the Buckshot run in Eau Claire, WI yesterday with Jim and Kristen. The Buckshot run has 5 mile and 2 mile distances. I ran both and was happy with my times as the day before I ran a 20.7 mile long run. I was far from winning the 2 mile race so the rest of this won't be about me.

This year is the 26th Buckshot run but the first year they used chip timing. Now here is my problem with the finish. Larry Mboga and Paul Hetke had a very close finish. I didn't see it, and although it was very close, Mboga crossed the finish line first. During the awards ceremony, the race director said that although Mboga crossed first, the chip timing showed that Hetke was 0.1 seconds faster. Therefore, first place was awarded to Hetke.

I was always under the impression that the leaders used 'gun time' to prevent this situation from happening. Runners back from the leaders used chip time. First place went to the wrong guy, in my opinion. The guy who fought it out to the end and finished in front of the rest should be the winner.

Here is the news article on the race at the Eau Claire Leader-Telegram.

Update 8/31: Others view it as I do. Here is another article from the Leader-Telegram.

--Mark

2 comments:

phillip gary said...

Awright! Some controversy in running races. . . Just like NASCAR :)

What a weird way to determine a race winner. . . .

Phillip Gary Smith
www.ultrasuperior.com

Matthew Patten said...

What on earth is a 2 mile race doing with chip timing?

I am guessing it also 2-3 aid stations!

Yeah, kind of lame giving it to the second place guy. Why not just make it a time trial for everyone?