Saturday, August 2, 2008

Twin Cities Ultra Festival 50K

First, I want to thank Patrick for inviting me to run his race. It was a perfect opportunity for me to gather some data about myself running long distances. It was also a pleasure meeting other runners, race volunteers, and people out there supporting the race in general.

Although I had planned to run all 50K, that did not happen. After 8 laps my mind felt a little 'off'. I wasn't quite dizzy, but I wasn't 'on' anymore. This was a race where I was gathering heart rate and pace data, primarily for the marathon distance, so there was no need to tough it out any longer. 24.8 miles was enough.

The race started at 5am. WCCO was reporting 59 degrees in Minneapolis, I had 61 in Eagan. This was much better than the 70 I was expecting for an overnight low. First we ran a little out and back at the start. This was to compensate for the slightly under 3.1 mile laps to come. My plan was to run by heart rate and let the pace be what it is. I planned for heart rates of 154 for 13 miles, 157 for the next 7 and 160 for 6. I'll step through the laps one by one.

Lap 1. Ave HR: 148, pace: 7:57.
This was a very nice starter lap. I got to run most of it with Sonya D. My HR was a little low as some of it was just warming up.

Lap 2. Ave HR: 154, pace: 8:01.
Perfect. Nothing unusual here.

Lap 3. Ave HR: 155, pace: 8:23.
I felt a little 'off'. This lap included a 35 second break to refill my water bottle. HR was still exactly where I wanted it.

Lap 4. Ave HR: 154, pace: 8:24.
Another normal lap.

Lap 5. Ave HR: 155, pace: 8:42.
I took a 25 second water break. I'm starting to slow down. I decided to run 5 laps before letting my HR go up to 157. It was easier to keep track of this way.

Lap 6. Ave HR: 156, pace: 9:39.
This lap included a 2:30 bathroom break and a 30 second water break. My pace, without the bathroom break, would have been 8:52. I slowed down a bit more. Ugh. It is what it is. My legs are feeling fatigued but are not cramping.

Lap 7. Ave HR: 157, pace: 9:33.
My friend Dave showed up to support me. He wasn't ready when I came through the aid station to join me so he'll run with me on Lap 8. Slow now. My legs are tired.

Lap 8. Ave HR: 153, pace: 10:08.
I took a 30 second water break but you can see my pace is very slow. The interesting part is my HR is going down. My legs were so tired it was hard to move faster. This lap I went through almost a full 22 oz. bottle of water.

I'm now at the 24.8 mile mark at 3:42:23.

I'm essentially done. There is no benefit to keep going now.

Lap 9. Ave HR: doesn't matter, pace: doesn't matter.

I didn't feel like keeping running at this point. My friends Kristen and Karl were there and ready to run with me. I took a long break and decided we would all walk together. I felt good just walking but I ran in the last mile. I told the timekeepers that I would not be running another lap.

Dave rode away on his bike and I walked Kristen and Karl back to where they parked. I ran back to the aid station (about a mile) and packed up my stuff to go home.

In all, I ran 26.7 miles.

I learned that I'm not good in the heat for long distances. I can't keep the pace that I can in the cold. Not unusual, I suppose.

I really enjoyed this event and the people I met. Thanks again to Patrick and everyone else involved. A special thanks goes to Bill Parker who ran 7 laps in the opposite direction to cheer the runners on twice per lap!

update: Keith has posted an excellent race report on his blog.

--Mark

3 comments:

keith said...

Nice job, Mark! You ran at a really nice pace! It got pretty hot out later on, didn't it?! See you soon for one of your LTF runs (if i can keep up).

Mark H. said...

Thanks Keith! Nice job yourself! It was pretty hot later on... a little more crowded on the path than at 5am too. See you soon!
--Mark

SteveQ said...

That heart rate drop and the dead leg feeling go together. At FANS, after 12 hours, my heart rate dropped, but I was starting to walk. You probably started off just a little too hard, but maybe it would be right for different weather.