Sunday, January 13, 2008

18 Weeks to Fargo

I just finished a good week of workouts - 47.7 total miles. Saturday I ran 12 outside with a friend. It was a very early run and there was about an inch of fresh snow on the ground. We averaged an 8:06 pace on this excellent run. The Tues/Thurs strength training was hard on me and I was very tired at the end of the week. Starting this week Sundays may be a day off or just a short easy run and/or a core workout. No squats or lunges on Sunday. My legs need a break.

I'm going to try the core workout from the Feb 2008 Runner's World to see how that goes. I did the base workouts today. The Swiss Hip Extension workout is challenging and I'm looking forward to seeing how I improve over the weeks.

Plan for week starting Monday, January 14

Monday
10 miles

Tuesday
3 mile easy run +
strength training

Wednesday
9.5 miles
2 mile warmup +
6 x (4 min at 6:31 pace + 3 min at 9:41 pace) +
2 mile easy run
6:31 = 9.2mph; 9:41 = 6.2mph

I edited on 1/14 because I learned the 'quality portion' on Wednesday was to be 8% of my total week. I had added the recovery portion into the calculation previously. It just means 6x vs 4x previously. Ugh.

Thursday
3 mile easy run +
strength training

Friday
7.5 miles

Saturday
12

Sunday
3 miles plus core or rest

Planned total: 48 miles

2 comments:

keith said...

dude!! you're getting in some really quality miles!way to go!

Mark H. said...

Thanks, Keith!

This week I'm looking forward to see if I can do Wednesday's interval workout or if I will crash and burn. I'm pretty sure I can do it.